Over the course of two weeks, we started off with some maki rolls; then even more maki rolls; then we needed to add some roasted chicken in case we were still hungry, and it all climaxed at a lunch with a garden salad, roasted chicken, channa masala, and an amazing Filipino congee.
It took another week to get the recipe for the congee, but it was worth it.
Lugao with Chicken (Filipino Congee)
Recipes by the Haggis and the Herring: tasty world recipes tested in our kitchen
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 square inch of ginger root, julienned
- 1/2 kilo chicken,cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 cup rice
- 1 tbsp glutinous rice (optional)
- 6 cups water or chicken stock
- optional additional chopped vegetables (broccoli, carrots, peas)
- 2 stalks green onion, chopped
- lemon juice
- Fry onion in oil over medium heat until translucent.
- Add garlic and fry for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add ginger and fry for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add chicken and fish sauce and simmer (covered) for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the rice, stir and let the rice absorb any liquids for 3 minutes.
- Add water or stock and bring to a boil. Reduce to medium-low and let simmer for 30 minutes, until chicken and rice are fully cooked. Stir occasionally to ensure rice doesn't stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Add optional vegetables and simmer for an additional 15 minutes.
- Serve in bowls garnished with green onion, fish sauce and lemon juice.
Note for gluten-free: check labels for fish sauce and chicken stock.