I wanted to try something new for a family barbecue, but we didn't have very much time to do anything very different. Back in May, I saw a recipe on CES for a red onion sauce popular on hotdogs in New York City, so I ran with that (with a few changes of course). The sauce isn't made of onions, it's a red sauce with onions in it. Or, more accurately, onions covered in a reddish sauce.
The resulting sauce was very flavourful, and the cayenne added a good zing to it.
Red Onion Sauce
2 tbsp oil
2 onions, chopped
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 cup ketchup
1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil and on medium heat and saute onions until translucent.
- Add garam masala and chili powder and stir for one minute.
- Add remaining ingredients, stir, and let simmer, stirring frequently for 10-15 minutes, until mixture thickens.
- Transfer to a bowl and let cool.
- Serve at room temperature.
Note: this mixutre isn't a pickle like relish, so it must be refrigerated and eaten within 2-3 days.
Try other tasty recipes