Oh how we love going to Me Va Me (at Bathurst and Steeles in Thornhill). When Meredith and I were first dating, we'd make a meal out of a large salad plate, some felafel and pita. Their shawarama is excellent as well, and the portions are ridiculous (you need to share).
It's the salads that we really love, tho. Three or four different ways to serve eggplant, and one of my favourites – Moroccan Carrots Salad. I really like the spicy versions.
My grandmother used to make a variation of it, and that's where I learned to love it. Her recipe is long-gone, after nearly 10 years I think I finally developed a recipe that resembled hers (Mama's might not have had as many chili pepper flakes). Cilantro was the missing ingredient. Any additional input about the final product from the Toronto Tangier crowd would be greatly appreciated.
Moroccan Carrot Salad
- 1/2 kilo carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 cm round slices
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro (coriander)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp crushed chili peppers
- Boil carrots until tender (not mushy), for 5-6 minutes. Drain, and immediately immerse carrots in cold water for 2-3 minutes.
- Heat oil on medium in a skillet.
- Saute garlic in oil for 1 minute. Add carrots, lemon juice, cilantro, salt, cumin, paprika, and chili peppers to the oil and saute for 2 minutes.
- Immediately move mixture to a cool container and let chill.
Try other tasty recipes
Linked to Oh She Glows Vegan Recipe Link Love