With a trip to the farmer's market, we also picked up some rhubarb and other goodies before heading home. Meredith spent the rest of the day making three different strawberry-based recipes and prepping a fourth for the next day... and that didn't stop her from taking a few work-related calls in between. The first recipe, a dessert topping, turned out so very, very tasty. The original recipe called for far more sugar and red food coloring. Neither were necessary for these excellent results.
Strawberry-rhubarb Dessert Topping
- 4 cups rhubarb, chopped
- 10 oz fresh strawberries, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 3/4 cup sugar
- In a large microwave-safe dish (e.g., Corning), combine the rhubarb, strawberries, water and tapioca and let stand for five minutes.
- Cover and microwave on high for six minutes. Stir and cook for an additional four minutes or until the rhubarb is soft.
- Stir in the sugar, recover and microwave for an additional two minutes.
Try other tasty recipes