A couple weeks ago, I was contacted by my friends at Rickard's with a new set of recipes that really inspired. As regular readers know, I enjoy cooking with beer, and I've already made mustard, soup, and stew with various beers. The recipes are for a new beer, Rickard's Blonde, not yet available in Ontario. Rickard's Blonde is a great-tasting pilsner. The bonus for us was the sample that would soon arrive in the mail.
When the package arrived by courier, I got a laugh out of the note that arrived in the box.
Clearly an attempt to slow you down from immediately cracking open (and likely spraying yourself with) a well-shaken can that spent the better part of a day bouncing around in a courier van!
In the package of recipes, one stuck out - it was a grilled chicken sandwich in an interesting marinade. I decided to modify the marinade to turn it into a a Caribbean chicken roti with potatoes. The original marinade recipe called for Scotch bonnet peppers. Unfortunately, the local grocery didn't have any in stock, so I used two jalapeno peppers.
The result was an awesome tasty chicken roti with potatoes in a thick sauce. There was just enough heat with the flavour that you felt the warmth for a short while after finishing the meal. Perfect.
Rickard's Blonde Hot Chicken Roti
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 medium onion
- 1-2 chili peppers (Scotch bonnet, habanero or jalapeno), stem and seeds removed
- 1 cup Rickard's Blonde beer
- ½ cup water
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp garam masala or ground allspice
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1/2 kilo chicken thighs or breast (boneless, skinless) diced
- roti for serving
- Boil potatoes in salted water for 5 minutes and drain.
- Combine garlic, onion, pepper, beer, water, salt, brown sugar, thyme, garam masala, nutmeg and turmeric and puree using an immersion blender.
- Heat oil on medium in a deep pan and brown chicken for 3 minutes. Add potatoes and sauce mixture, cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to medium and let simmer uncovered for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Serve on roti. Makes 4 servings.
Recipes by the Haggis and the Herring: tasty world recipes tested in our kitchen
Try other tasty recipes