Hopefully the end of pickle madness...
I think it's time to put this microwave pickling habit to bed. Immediately after sealing the jalapenos in the jar, I immediately started on the regular bread and butter pickles pulling bits and pieces from a few recipes I've already used.
One thing that struck me (and should've been obvious) is that unless the cucumbers are in season and it's easy to buy them in bulk at a market, it's not cheaper to make them yourself. The eight mini cucumbers cost me $2.49 (on sale at No-Frills).
Of course, there's the satisfaction that I made them myself that makes up for the cost.
I don't think I'm ready for a large pickling project this year, but maybe next year I'll actually buy a large quantity of cucumbers, a very large pot and some mason jars.
Bread and Butter Pickles
- 6-8 small cucumbers sliced into 1/2 cm rounds
- 1 medium onion, thinly slice
- 2/3 c white vinegar
- 1/2 c apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- 1 star anise
- 1 cardamom pod, bruised
Recipes by the Haggis and the Herring: tasty world recipes tested in our kitchen
Try other tasty recipes
- Place cucumber and onion in a large microwave-safe dish. In a separate bowl, whisk remaining ingredients together and pour on top of cucumber and onion mixture.
- Microwave on high for four minutes.
- Stir, and microwave on high for an additional 3 minutes.
- Empty bowl into sterilized mason jars and let cool before refrigerating.