|Photo by Jo-Anna of A Pretty Life in the Suburbs. Jo-Anna|
made this recipe as her Secret Recipe Club assignment for
An undisclosed number of years ago, I went out with some cousins for drinks. I had a little too much, but the pub was great. It was the fist time I'd been to Fionn MacCool's on the Esplanade. The entertainment was a couple of guys playing an acoustic guitar and a fiddle. All heck broke loose when they started playing Guns n' Roses -- it was fantastic!
Anyway, while we were drinking, we ordered a big basket of fries. The waxed paper lining came with a recipe for Beef Braised in Guinness. That recipe has been on my refrigerator ever since -- actually prepared only once in a blue moon.
- 4-1/2 lb (2kg) rib beef trimmed and cubed
- 4-5 tbsp flour
- cooking oil
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- 1 lb (450g) onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pt (560ml) light beef stock
- 1/2 pt (280ml) Guinness
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp mustard, prepared
- 1/4 tbsp cloves, ground
- bouquet garni (parsley, thyme, bay leaf)
- Preheat oven to 325-degrees F.
- Cover beef cubes in flour.
- Heat oil and brown beef in several batches, followed by garlic and onions, removing all to an ovenproof dish.
- Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil on stove top, then cover and place in oven.
- Cook until meat is tender, about 60-90 minutes.
Post a Comment
We love reading your comments!