Obviously still not back up to speed, Meredith and I neglected to shop for the weekend on Thursday evening. Dinner at our friends' place at new year's eve meant an empty fridge for the following day.
Mom to the rescue with an invitation to Shabbat dinner!
Dessert was great (because we haven't eaten enough cakes and cookies in the last four weeks). Mom made an old-school coffee cake in a loaf. One of those heavy ones that actually requires you to dip it in your coffee. Boy, was it good. It even had the streusel top and a layer in the middle.
Streusel Coffee Cake
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1-1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts (omitted in mom's version)
- Beat eggs, sugar, butter and shortening until light and fluffy.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with milk. Mix just until blended.
- Pour half of batter into a greased loaf pan. Mix ingredients for topping, and sprinkle half over batter.
- Cover with remaining batter and top with crumb mixture.
- Bake at 350F for 50 minutes, or until cake tests done.
What I would do to have this cake for breakfast!ReplyDelete
Please join me to bake & remember lives lost in 9/11. I am hosting a link up called *Remembrance Cakes* Would love to have you. We are baking cakes, muffins, cupcakes. Anything is great! You can also share posts you have all ready published like this one. Just add the badge to show your support.