My mistake was not having something in mind for them before bringing them home. I'm not a baker, so this would be Meredith's decision. She looked through her favourite baking books at all of her choices until she realized that she wanted something easy. No phylo. Nothing else too crazy, but that didn't stop her from boiling the blueberry filling all over the newly-cleaned stove top :-)
The final product was delicious, of course!
Blueberry Coffee Cake
2 cups blueberries
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp potato starch
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup butter
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp butter
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
In a saucepan, combine fruit and water and bring to a boil. Reduce to medium-low and let simmer, covered for around 5 minutes or until fruit is tender.
- Stir in the sugar and potato starch and continue heating until mixture thickens and bubbles, and continue to cook for another 2 minutes before removing from heat and setting aside.
In a medium bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, baking powder and baking soda.
- Cut in the 1/4 cup butter and continue mixing until mixture looks like a bowl of coarse crumbs and make a well in the centre of the bowl before setting aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the egg, buttermilk and vanilla and pour the mixture into the well of the flour mixture.
- Stir the mixture until until it's all moist (the batter should still be lumpy) and spread half of the batter into a ungreased 8x8x2 baking pan.
- Spread the filling over the first layer of batter and drop the remaining batter in mounds over the filling and set aside.
In a separate bowl, combine the flour and sugar.
- Cut in the butter and continue mixing until it looks like a bowl of coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle topping over cake.
- The finale:
Bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden and serve warm.
Try other tasty recipes
We've been seeing alot of good prices on blueberries here in Philadelphia area too. I would have never thought of making something with the 3 pints, we would have just eaten them all right from the containers. Blueberry coffee cake sounds a lot more delicious!
Nothing better than a good coffee cake. I still have a lot of these beauties in the freezer so I am eying this recipe.ReplyDelete