With friends coming over for dinner on a Friday in March, and the dinner being one of our standards, Meredith felt that it was time to try out an experiment she had been mulling over for a while. She had the basics for a graham cracker pie crust and was working an idea for a berry filling as well.
It came together, and stayed together incredibly well, and tasted amazing, of course. Unfortunately, I didn't have the presence of mind to take a picture of a slice of the pie (it didn't last long enough) so you'll have to just believe me that the pie didn't fall apart.
Berry Crumble Pie
Part 1: Crust
1-1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup oats
1/2 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375-degrees.
- Combine graham cracker crumbs, sugar and oats.
- Add butter and mix in until crumbly.
- Press mixture into a 9-inch pie plate bake for 6 minutes.
Part 2: Filling
3 cups mixed berries (fresh or frozen)
1/4 cup water
2 tbsp cornstarch
2 tsp lemon juice
- Combine berries and half of the water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 2 minutes stirring frequently.
- In a small bowl, stir together remaining water, cornstarch and lemon juice.
- Gradually stir cornstarch mixture into blueberry mixture and continue stirring blueberry mixture for about 30 seconds or until mixture thickens.
- Pour filling into pie crust.
Part 3: Topping
2 tbsp oats
3 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp butter
- Mix all ingredients together until it reaches a crumbly texture.
- Sprinkle on top of filling.
- Bake pie for an additional 15 minutes.
Try other tasty recipes