It all started out with a Guinness barbecue sauce recipe I saw, however, the recipe called for far too much sugar. That got me thinking that I wanted to make meatballs with some kind of barbecue sauce. The researching started.
I eventually found a recipe for Dr. Pepper barbecue sauce and went from there. I know that Dr. Pepper tastes like amaretto, and I figured meatballs in amaretto sauce sounds classier. I adjusted several ingredients, found some ingredients that were lower sodium (ketchup, Worcestershire sauce) and generally used less salt, and added an ounce of amaretto liqueur for extra flavour.
Unfortunately, I didn't have time to make the meatballs from scratch. If I did, I probably would've added some of the sauce into the meatball mixture as well.
The sauce was excellent. We had a bit left over so I bottled some up for a couple of people.
Meatballs in Amaretto Barbecue Sauce
The sauce is a tasty change for meatballs. Serve it with mashed potatoes for a warming meal.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 tsp (rounded) garlic puree
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 small bottle (412ml) Dr. Pepper
- 1 oz Disaronno liqueur
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1.5 kilos (3 lbs) meatballs, cooked (we used 2 lbs and kept the extra sauce aside)
1. In a saucepan, melt the butter on medium and saute the onion and garlic for 10 minutes.2. Add all remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.3. Reduce to medium and let simmer for 45-60 minutes, stirring every few minutes until thick.4. Let the sauce cool slightly and puree using an immersion blender.5. Let simmer on low for another 5-10 and pour over meatballs.
DetailsPrep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 6 servings
Try other tasty recipes