Another Moroccan Shabbat (sorta)
Last week was a last-minute Shabbat special.
After picking up the Craisin challah from Jeff at What A Bagel York Mills, Meredith e-mailed me the menu for the evening:
beans and onions with crackers
chicken tajine with with honeyed tomatoes and chickpeas
After looking at the original recipe for the tajine (from Bonnie Stern's Friday Night Dinners), I switched up the method a bit (I wanted a one-pot solution, instead of going from the pot to the oven) and make things a bit more to my taste.
Chicken Tajine with Honeyed Tomatoes and Chickpeas
This recipe was adapted from Bonnie Stern's Friday Night Dinners.
- 1/8 tsp saffron threads
- 2 tbsp boiling water
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp smoked Spanish paprika
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 3 chicken breasts, cut in half
- 10 chicken legs
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cayenne powder
- 1 can tomatoes (not drained), lightly mashed with a potato masher
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 can chickpeas
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- to taste pepper
- 1 bunch cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
1. Let the saffron steep in the boiling water and put aside.2. In a small bowl, combine salt, paprika, cumin (1 tbsp) and sprinkle over chicken.3. In a dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-heat and brown the chicken in batches for 3-5 minute per side and set chicken aside in a separate bowl.4. Reduce heat to low and add onions, garlic and ginger to the pot and cook gently for 10 minutes, scraping the solidified juices, spices and oil from the bottom of the pan.Reduce heat to low and add onions, garlic and ginger to the pot and cook gently for 10 minutes, scraping the solidified juices, spices and oil from the bottom of the pan.5. Add remaining cumin (2 tsp), cinnamon and cayenne, and cook for 30-60 seconds.6. Add saffron, tomatoes, stock, and chicken. Bring to a boil and reduce to medium.7. Let cook for 20 minutes (uncovered), add chickpeas, honey and lemon juice and cook for an additional 20 minutes.8. If the sauce isn't think enough, remove chicken and reduce sauce on medium-high for 10-15 minutes.9. Add back chicken and mix in sliced lemon and cilantro. Remove from heat and serve.
DetailsPrep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 10 servings