With some leftover white wine from a big dinner, I was itching to make a marinara with wine. The bonus day off work (Family Day in Ontario) gave me the opportunity to prepare a meal in advance for later in the week.
I managed to find some turkey meatballs at the grocery store so there was no doubt about what I'd be making, until Meredith put the kybosh on spaghetti for dinner (she says it's a taste thing, I think it's Itironophobia (fear of spaghetti). So meatball marinara with penne it is!
Recipes by the Haggis and the Herring: tasty world recipes tested in our kitchen
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 28oz can tomatoes
- 1 5-1/2 oz can tomato paste
- Heat olive oil on medium and fry onions and garlic until translucent.
- Add basil, oregano, thyme, pepper and salt and mix for one minute.
- Add wine and stir for another minute.
- Add tomatoes and tomato paste, stir and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Puree with a hand blender.