I don't often cook with prepared ingredients, however, I found this awesome mix of roasted vegetables and I wanted to do something with it. It's a mixture of roasted peppers, onions, eggplant and garlic and it's a little strong on its own.
I love roasted vegetables but I really dislike the actual roasting. The pan gets all sticky and half the time I burn my hands on the peppers trying to peel them, so this mix looked like a welcome helping hand.
Along came a party for a friend and I immediately thought about using the mix for a nice creamy dip. Meredith suggested I add a bit of spice to it so I also threw in some red pepper flakes. My first test-run used pressed cottage cheese (because that's what we had), but for the final, I chose cream cheese and added some chopped olives.
Roasted Vegetables and Cheese Dip
- 1 package (250g) cream cheese (at room temperature)
- 3/4 cup roasted red pepper spread
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup sliced green olives
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Using a fork, fold cream cheese and red pepper spread together until thoroughly mixed.
- Fold in remaining ingredients
- roasted red pepper spread can be substituted for 1/2 cup pureed roasted red peppers, onion, garlic, salt and 1 tbsp tomato paste
- for a smoother dip, puree all ingredients in food processor