|a selection of gluten-free goodies|
including the chickpeas (centre).
No-Frills isn't the best place to find gluten-free treats for friends. That's quite unfortunate, because I prefer shopping there and not going to more than one grocery store.
It was time for me to improvise. I quickly realized that it would've been much easier to make a gluten-free meal (a salad, main and dessert) than an assortment of gluten-free snacks (some of which I did find at No-Frills).
When going through my "must try" file, I found a recipe for toasted chickpeas with pistachios. I wasn't fond of the recipe itself, but I did like the idea, so I went to work devising my own version (minus the pistachios).
Tasted pretty good, I'm happy to say.
Toasted Chickpeas Snack
- 1 large can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp thyme zatar
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Toss all ingredients in a bowl and then spread out on a nonstick baking sheet.
- Bake until chickpeas are golden and crisp.
Note: stir occasionally for even toasting.
Try other tasty recipes
Also shared with MLLA #30 at Priya's blog.