Running out of new ideas for a Friday dinner, I found a recipe for Moroccan chicken on a Foodland Ontario website. The point of the recipe was mostly to pitch the benefits of Ontario-farmed chicken, apples and onions to unsuspecting consumers.
But really, what does this guy know about Moroccan food? (Running a province, yes, Moroccan food: not so much.)
So I ran with the recipe as a base and fixed it from there - eliminating the cornstarch, adding saffron and swapping out the boneless, skinless chicken for recognizable pieces. My friend Simon called it "de-Martha-Stewartifying - making the dish much more my style, and specifically less... umm... this guy.
Chicken Tajine with Apples
2 apples, cored, peeled, thinly sliced and tossed in 2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
1 to 1 1/2 kilos chicken legs and/or thighs
1/4 cup oil
2 medium onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp ginger, minced
2 cups chicken broth
pinch saffron, infused in 1-2 tbsp hot water
2 tbsp cup raisins
1/4 cup blanched almonds
4 dates, pitted and chopped
7 dried apricots, chopped
- Core, peel and slice apples into thin wedges, toss in lemon juice and set aside.
- Combine cumin, chili powder, cinnamon, salt and pepper and sprinkle onto chicken.
- Heat oil on medium in a large pot, brown chicken on both sides. Set chicken aside.
- Saute onions in the same pot for 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and ginger and saute for an additional 2 minutes.
- Place chicken back in the pan and add broth and saffron. Bring to a boil and let simmer on medium for 25-30 minutes, uncovered.
- Add apples (with lemon juice), dried fruit and nuts, reduce to medium-low and let simmer for another 5-10 minutes.
Recipes by the Haggis and the Herring: tasty world recipes tested in our kitchen
Try other tasty recipes
This came out GREAT - super dooper YUM!ReplyDelete
What a great dish for a fall dinner! This looks amazing.ReplyDelete
We are big fans of Morroccan food. I love all the spices and dried fruit in this recipe.ReplyDelete
This is a very timely recipe since I am heading to the apple orchard today!!ReplyDelete
I like the de-Martha-Stewertifying process :), well done! Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat EatersReplyDelete
This is a great recipe. I love chicken tajine, it's so flavorful!ReplyDelete