Chickpea, oh you wonderful legume. I've been eating it all my life, ever since my grandmother served it with couscous, cinnamon and sugar.
When it comes to vegetarian dishes and curries, Channa Masala (chickpea curry) is one of my favourites. I mean, if you choose to use olive oil there's nothing bad in there for you. It's also my preferred dish to bring to potlucks as it's inexpensive to prepare and has a wide appeal.
Channa masala is a great vegetarian and gluten-free dinner that pleases everybody.
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 cups onions, finely chopped
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 tbsp minced garlic
- 3 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp cayenne powder
- 3 cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped (including stems)
1. In a large pan, heat oil on medium heat for one minute.2. Add onions and cinnamon, and sauté for five to eight minutes, until onions are golden.3. Add garlic and sauté for four more minutes.4. Add ginger, tomatoes, salt, pepper, turmeric, cumin, coriander, garam masala and cayenne. Cook the masala for five minutes, until the oil separates.5. Add the chickpeas and cook for 10 minutes.6. Stir in cilantro and serve.
DetailsPrep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 6-8 servings
Recipes by the Haggis and the Herring: tasty world recipes tested in our kitchen