And yet another fun Indian Friday night with friends. Chicken Tikka Masala and an eggplant dish from India Food House. I'll save the Chicken Tikka recipe for another week, tho :-)
India Food House was a landmark in Peterborough when I was at Trent. I hung around so much I was eventually put to work in the kitchen – mostly preparing naan, peeling garlic, and doing dishes.
Only once, when the restaurant was short-staffed on a busy day, I actually waited tables.
Bayngan Barta (Roasted Eggplant and Onions)
- 1 large eggplant
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4-5 large onions, diced (equal to the amount of eggplant pulp)
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp Spanish paprika
- 1 tsp garam masala
- salt (to taste)
- pierce eggplant and roast at 450-degrees for 45 minutes
- remove eggplant skin and chop the pulp
- heat oil and saute onions on medium until onions are translucent
- mix in tomatoes, turmeric, paprika, garam masala and salt, and simmer for 2-5 minutes.
- add eggplant pulp and let simmer on low for 45 minutes.