- 1 large eggplant
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 small red onion, chopped (1/4 cup)
- 1 tbsp red-wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley, divided
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Pierce eggplant and roast on a pan for 45 minutes.
- While eggplant is roasting, toast cumin in a dry pan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until fragrant and dark brown. Let cool and grind with a mortar and pestle.
- Remove flesh from roasted eggplant, discarding skin and stem; mash the eggplant with a potato masher.
- Toss eggplant flesh with onion, vinegar, sugar, 1 tablespoon oil, 1 tablespoon parsley, 1/2 teaspoon toasted cumin, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Serve drizzled with remaining oil, parsley and cumin.
(Original recipe by Ruth Cousineau on Epicurious)
Recipes by the Haggis and the Herring: tasty world recipes tested in our kitchen
Post a Comment
We love reading your comments!