Hopefully the end of pickle madness...
I think it's time to put this microwave pickling habit to bed. Immediately after sealing the jalapenos in the jar, I immediately started on the regular bread and butter pickles pulling bits and pieces from a few recipes I've already used.
One thing that struck me (and should've been obvious) is that unless the cucumbers are in season and it's easy to buy them in bulk at a market, it's not cheaper to make them yourself. The eight mini cucumbers cost me $2.49 (on sale at No-Frills).
Of course, there's the satisfaction that I made them myself that makes up for the cost.
I don't think I'm ready for a large pickling project this year, but maybe next year I'll actually buy a large quantity of cucumbers, a very large pot and some mason jars.
Bread and Butter Pickles
- 6-8 small cucumbers sliced into 1/2 cm rounds
- 1 medium onion, thinly slice
- 2/3 c white vinegar
- 1/2 c apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- 1 star anise
- 1 cardamom pod, bruised
- Place cucumber and onion in a large microwave-safe dish. In a separate bowl, whisk remaining ingredients together and pour on top of cucumber and onion mixture.
- Microwave on high for four minutes.
- Stir, and microwave on high for an additional 3 minutes.
- Empty bowl into sterilized mason jars and let cool before refrigerating.
Try other tasty recipes
Bread and butter pickles are my favourite pickles. Love them on sandwiches and hamburgers. I've never made my own though, I'm impressed! Nice to meet some fellow Torontonians. (I'm sure I spelled that wrong but you know what I mean). :o)ReplyDelete
Yeah, I found a method using the microwave and it worked. I even tried it with jalapenos (check the archive or recipe listing).ReplyDelete
This reminds me of the pickled watermelon rind by Madonna del Piatto. Can't wait to try this one tooReplyDelete
Watermelon rind? You've got my attention. I'll need to look that one up.ReplyDelete
I make bread and butter pickles every year from an old, old recipe, which also has green and red peppers. The next batch I make, I am going to add the red pepper flakes.ReplyDelete