The sweet pickles from a few weeks back were such a success, I wanted to try some more pickle recipes using the same method (I found an interesting method of making pickles in the microwave at The Colors of Indian Cooking).
My favourite type of pickles (aside from the obvious dill in brine) are bread and butter pickles. While looking for a recipe that I could easily adapt, I also found a recipe for bread and butter style pickled jalapeno peppers at Simply Recipes. I opted to scale the recipe down a bit because I didn't have enough jars.
When the peppers colled, I tasted one and it's not bad. Not super-hot and the pickling gave it a nice tang.
Jalapeno Bread and Butter Pickles
- 1/2 lb jalapeno peppers, sliced vertically and seeded
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 star anise
- 1 cardamom pod, bruised
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 whole cloves
- Place peppers and onion in a large microwave-safe dish. In a separate bowl, whisk remaining ingredients together and pour on top of cucumber and onion mixture.
- Microwave on high for two minutes.
- Stir, and microwave on high for an additional minute.
- Empty bowl into sterilized 500ml mason jar and let cool before refrigerating.
Try other tasty recipes