This year, to celebrate our third anniversary, my mom took the cake out of the deep freeze. The cake looked perfect. No freezer burn or other disfigurements. We ate some partially frozen (the custard was still mostly frozen), and it wasn't bad. We took the rest home to serve during the weekend and at our Labour Day barbecue.
On the Sunday, we served some more cake to our friends after dinner, and it was a disaster. The cake had finished defrosting and the moisture from the custard had soaked the bottom of the cake. Gross. More than half of the cake ended up in the garbage.
Needless to say, on Labour Day morning, Meredith got to work on making some dessert for the barbecue. She decided on her banana bread recipe since everybody loves it.
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups (3 bananas), mashed
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup margarine, melted
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Grease two 7 1/2 x 3 1/2 x 2 pans and preheat oven to 350-degrees.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt and make a well in the centre of the bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine eggs, bananas, sugar and margarine and add to flour mixture.
- Stir until moist (still lumpy) and fold in chocolate chips.
- Divide mixture and pour into pans.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when stuck into the centre of the bread.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10-15 minutes, remove from pan, and let cool completely on the wire rack.
Try other tasty recipes
Ugh, I'm sorry the cake didn't turn out as you hoped. I'd imagine this banana bread more than made up for that!ReplyDelete
That's what happens when you: a) wait three years, and; b) freeze a part of the cake that was never meant to be frozen.ReplyDelete
And you're right, Meredith's baking saved the day anyway :-)
My favorite, banana bread! I will try your recipe, I mean Meredith's ;)ReplyDelete
We did not have any cake to freeze, ate it all the next day during breakfast with all the out of town guests! :)ReplyDelete
Nice save, Meredith, looks good :)
What a great way to celebrate by eating the wedding cake!ReplyDelete