Post Christmas Dinner from YEG to YYZ
For Christmas, we had the pleasure of a visit from my brother (Beez) and sister-in-law (Amanda) of Gluten Free Edmonton. Although their visit was really about seeing their nephews, Beez humoured me and made us dinner one evening between Christmas and New Years. Meredith also used her new Whirly-Pop to make everyone fresh stove-top popcorn.
As I mentioned before, I'm not great with rice noodles, so it's nice to have them done right without having to go out. Beez was very accommodating and set up an assembly line on my counter. He also made me grill the chicken (so much for a labour-free dinner).
Vermicelli Bowl with Grilled Chicken
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 boneless-skinless chicken breasts sliced butterfly-style (making four portions)
- 1/4 head of iceberg lettuce, sliced
- 1 package vermicelli rice noodles, cooked according to package directions
- 1 carrot, sliced julienne style
- 1/4 cucumber, sliced julienne style
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 8 tbsp fish sauce (Beez uses Blue Dragon brand available at Wal-Mart)
- Marinate chicken in soy sauce and garlic for at least 30 minutes (overnight is best).
- Grill chicken until cooked it reaches an internal temperature of 165-degrees Fahrenheit and then slice into strips.
- To build the bowl, layer as follows:
- carrots and cucumber around the edge of the bowl
- chicken in the centre
- garnish with green onion
- Serve with 2 tbsp fish sauce on the side for diners to pour into the bowl.
Try other tasty recipes