At the beginning of the summer, we were planning a brunch with some friends. Julia's email arrived right on schedule - the day Meredith and I were planning the menu. Her recipe's two main ingredients are two of my favourite foods: cheese and onions. It must be served for the brunch!
The morning of the brunch, I chopped the onions started on the salads and ran (well, drove) to the bakery. The cheese pie was pretty much done when I got home.
The brunch was a success. In addition to the great company and the cheese and onion pie, we served bagels, pressed cottage cheese, egg salad, herring, my kitchen sink salad, a pickle plate and our friends brought an amazing apple pie.
- 1 pie shell
- 3 medium onions, sliced thinly
- 1 cup water
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
- Line pie plate with pastry, prick with a fork and bake at 350-degrees for 10 minutes.
- Place onions in a wide saucepan with 1 cup water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to medium-low and simmer, covered for 5 to 10 minutes. Drain and let cool.
- Beat together eggs, milk salt and pepper.
- Assemble the pie by placing half of the onions in the pie shell, then mozzarella cheese. Add rest of onions, cheddar cheese, and pour egg mixture over the final layer of cheese.
Try other tasty recipes