|This flavorful vegetarian soup is gluten-free and uses |
Mediterranean spices for a unique, but not overwhelming flavor.
My very first copy was literally that - a photocopy I had made from a friend's version (the original 1977 edition, I might add). I vowed that when I could afford to buy my own copy, I would. And I eventually did. The second edition (c. 1992) is a little different. still hand-drawn, but the recipes are a bit healthier. Less heavy creams, cheeses and butter, and more yogurt and olive oil (or no oil at all).
One of the things I noticed the very first time I opened the book is that some of the methods are very labour intensive. You're hard-pressed to find a recipe that takes less than an hour. The very first recipe I made (Russian cabbage borscht) took me quite a while as I had a cabbage as big as a basketball and a stockpot to make a double batch.
On this particular day, I decided to make my own version of the Gypsy soup. I say my own version for two reasons: because Katzen's own notes lists a plethora of substitutes for vegetables, and; there's no way I'm blanching, peeling and seeding tomatoes by hand. I will, however, use a small bottle of my mom's home-made tomato sauce instead.
Vegetable Soup (Gypsy Soup)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 celery stalk, minced
- 2 cups peeled, diced carrots
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp basil
- dash cinnamon
- dash cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 bell pepper (green or red), diced
- 1 can chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- In a dutch oven, heat oil on medium. Add onions, garlic, celery and carrots and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add salt and saute for an additional five minutes.
- Add paprika, turmeric, basil, cinnamon, cayenne, bay leaf and water. cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, peppers and chickpeas. cover and simmer for an additional 10-15 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- Remove bay leaf before serving.
Try other tasty recipes
Linked to Cast Party Wednesdays