For the August edition of Secret Recipe Club hosted by Tina of Moms Crazy Cooking, I was assigned Steak and Potatoes Kinda Gurl. Anyone who knows me, knows that I'm the polar opposite – I'm an anything but steak and potatoes kinda guy. If I was going to do this, I was doing it my way. I just had to find some inspiration.
I found the inspiration when we went to the Evergreen Brickworks, on the site of the old Don Valley Brickworks. Jacob made some pottery for a community project and helped organize a garden. The guy manning the garden was also making sweet potato fries in a cast-iron pan over a fire. They weren't bad, and they gave me an idea for Secret Recipe Club. I remembered seeing a recipe for garlic oven fries.
|Jacob posing by the newly planted section of garden|
at Evergreen Brickworks.
Does that still count? I hope so!
I was sure to use SPG's method of partially cooking the potatoes in boiling water first - I think that's a very important step for good roasted potatoes, and it's a method I only recently picked up. What a difference it makes!
Grilled Sweet Potato Curry Fries
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and sliced into 1cm-thick fries
- 2-3 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp curry powder
- Boil a pot of water and let potatoes cook for five minutes while the grill heats up to medium.
- Remove potatoes from water and gently dry with a paper towel.
- Combine oil, lemon juice, and curry powder and coat potato slices.
- Grill potatoes for about fifteen minutes, turning every 3-4 minutes so all sides are crispy.
Try other tasty recipes