There were leftovers from Strawberrypalooza in June/July. I really didn't think we had that many strawberries. I was clearly wrong.
Wanting to get rid of the last of the strawberries before they deteriorated into mush, Meredith decided to make one more pie. This pie would be a more traditional baked pie with a crumble topping. Meredith had a recipe for a rhubarb pie that she was able to adapt to get the results she wanted - the most significant change being reducing the amount of sugar.
Strawberry Crumble Pie
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp flour
- 3 cups strawberries, diced (about 1/2 inch)
- 1 9-inch pie crust
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- Preheat oven to 425-degrees.
- In a small bowl, stir eggs and melted butter.
- In another small bowl, combine sugar and flour and stir into egg mixture until well combined.
- Place strawberries in a large bowl and mix in flour and egg mixture.
- Prepare the topping by mixing the flour, sugar and cinnamon. Cut in butter (using a mixer or pastry cutter) until topping looks like coarse crumbs.
- Transfer strawberry mixture into pie shell.
- Sprinkle topping evenly over the top and bake for 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350-degrees and bake for an additional 35 to 40 minutes or until filling is set and topping is light-to-medium golden-brown.
Try other tasty recipes