|This curry gets its flavor from the brown sugar caramelized |
on the chicken and the super-tasty rhubarb sauce.
After tweeting about my newly found produce, and lamenting that I could only find dessert recipes, the Food Floozie came through. She had just finished making a chicken curry in a rhubarb sauce, and if I could sit tight, the recipe would be posted by the next morning. What luck!
The Floozie's curry was an interesting one. The sauce was made separately the chicken and it used wine. The chicken was pan fried, and the whole concoction goes into the oven to finish off. It looked great.
After a short conversation about the dish, I discovered that I could use orange juice (which I had) instead of wine (which I didn't have) and I made a few other changes to make it my own.
When I took it out of the oven, it was awesome. The brown sugar had caramelized and the sauce was sweet and spicy. Meredith said that it reminded her of the curries her mom made when she was a kid.
Rhubarb Curry Chicken
- 2 tbsp + 3 tbsp oil
- 1/4 tsp + 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp coriander
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp ginger, minced
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp mango powder
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1-1/4 cups orange juice
- 1/2 pound rhubarb, ends trimmed, cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1 kilo chicken thighs, boneless, skinless
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 425-degrees.
- In a medium saucepan, heat 2 tbsp oil over medium heat and saute onions for 2 minutes,
- Add 1/2 tsp salt, cayenne pepper, coriander, cumin, ginger, curry powder and mango powder and saute for an additional minute.
- Add orange juice and rhubarb, bring to a boil and cover and let simmer for 10 minutes over medium heat. Stir, re-cover and let cook for an additional 10 minutes. The rhubarb should be reduced to a sauce.
- In a large skillet, heat remaining oil on medium-high. Place chicken in pan and season with remaining salt and black pepper. Brown chicken for 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Place chicken into a greased 9x13 baking dish and cover with rhubarb mixture; sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Place baking dish into oven and bake for 30-40 minutes.
Inspired by Food Floozie's Curried Rhubarb Chicken.
Try other tasty recipes